The Kips mansion replicates a medieval Norman castle, and was constructed over a three-year period in the early 1900’s by Frederic Ellsworth Kip. Frederic was a wealthy textile inventor and industrialist who also published several books related to United States tariff laws. The exterior of the castle is constructed of local trap rock trimmed with sandstone. The interior of the castle consists of thirty rooms of varying shapes which include vaulted ceilings and six ornate fireplaces.The building and grounds fell into a state of dilapidation until a law firm purchased the property in 1985, attempting to restore it. The property is now part of the Park System.